And being the unbelieving atheist that I am, I tend to brush aside such hogswallop. Then again, sometimes I wonder.
It seems, my fellow Fritters, that I may have an accord regarding an exchange of vessels. Now calm down, calm down. It hasn’t happened yet and many things could screw up the deal, but so far, it looks pretty good. Lemme ‘splain.
I’ve been running an ad looking to trade the 26′ for a 22’, ODay, Catalina, something of that nature. Had a few possibles, like the pack rat around the corner with the beat up old boat. But finally this weekend, I got contacted by somebody who has a legitimate trade in mind. Seems he and his wife own a 23′ Spirit which they keep on a dock over in Ft. Myers. They go over there on the weekends and stay on the boat, sort of a boat camper type thing. They are in their early 60’s, getting ready to retire, whatever the hell that means, and are looking for a larger boat, preferably a project boat. And boy howdy to I have a project for them.
The cool part is they are familiar with the Seacraft brand and this model in particular. After talking with him at length, he indicated he knew all about the boat. I made particular emphasis that my boat is in dire need of work. Didn’t phase him a bit. Like me, he only wants to be able to live on it, and then fix it up as finances and time allow.
He did send me photos of his boat, and it looks to be exactly what I am looking for too. Very simple design, similar to the ODay, clean inside, and in working order. And it will come with a motor! Whoo Hoo!
As for the logistics end, he is trying to get his boat transported to Key Largo to an anchorage where he also has a project ODay 272. That boat is sold so he want to move another boat in so it will be closer to where they live. Hence, he has no need for my slip. He wants to come down to Key West this weekend, see my boat, and then decide what to do from there.
It’s fairly simple actually. He comes here and likes the boat, he also moves the Spirit to Key Largo. I go see his boat and like it, we trade title for title. He comes back down here with his own motor and putters the Seacraft back to Key Largo. I move the Spirit over to a friends canal front home for a couple days whilst I move the cats in and get the boat ready for sea. Then at the appointed hour, on the appointed day, with the outgoing tide, a following wind, and hopefully clear skies, I sail the Spirit back to Key West, taking a couple of days with a stop in Marathon.
As for the slip, rent is due first of the month. I feel confident that I will be able to squeeze out another month here. I will have a boat that will hopefully only need some minimal work, and with a running engine, I can be ready to head out to other ports later on this summer.
Everything about this deal so far screams, “DO IT!”. I got the vibe from the guy, and I feel the same way, that we would just go ahead and do the deal over the phone right now. But really, we need to see the other boat first. But the whole thing, the logistics, what he wants in a boat, what I want, being able to hang here for just a bit longer, it appears that it will fall into place.
As I said, I don’t wanna get too excited, because I have been burned before, but this is looking like the best deal I have come across so far. We will know better by next weekend if it will happen.
If there is indeed any magic in these islands, now would be a good time to grab a handful.