The day of reckoning is at hand. If all goes well the boat swap happens this weekend. The other folks have a trailer for the Spirit and are planning on delivering the boat here on Saturday afternoon. I have been busy getting the Seacraft ready. I took down the boom and tomorrow the mast will come down. Then I will need to batten a few hatches and swash a few buckles.
I’ve arranged to borrow a tow boat from Aquatic Boat Rentals along with a mate or two to help tow the Seacraft to the yard where I will pick up the Spirit. The motor for the Spirit is still in the shop being redone and may not be ready when they come down but I can get it later on. It should all go pretty smoothly but there will always be snags along the way. The bad part is I tend to have to spend some money to get things done. For example the mast pin, which is a 5 inch bolt that holds the mast down was rusted so the nut wouldn’t come off. I had to drop a few bucks for a hacksaw to get it off and then buy a new bolt and nut, which was given to me by my very nice neighbor at West Marine.
I’ve shut down the grill and I will be shutting down the fridge soon. So my cooking will be limited and my food budget will get skewed until I settle into the new boat. When Monday comes I will need to transfer the title to the Spirit into my name, meaning some money for a new title, registration, and sales tax, but that shouldn’t be too much.
So I will have lots to do over the next 4 or 5 days. I may lay off the posting for the duration, or at least only post a quick update if I have time, I need to get this thing done and over with so I can move on to the next adventure. Thanks to everyone who has commented and thrown up some support for this move. If it all goes well I will be posting a lot more about it in the future. There are a lot of little interesting tidbits that will go along with moving into a smaller boat.
So off I go, into the unknown once again. Be back soon.