Jun 122016

I’m back in Pa., all safe and sound from my all too brief trip back to Key West.  I was able to get all I needed to get done in the short time I was back on the rock and now I am going to just chill out for the rest of the year until I am ready to return for good.

It sure felt good to be back on the rock even for a day or so.  It was hot and humid, with the occasional tropical rain coming through and it felt great.  I’ve done a lot of travel and lived a lot of places but Key West is the first place which has ever felt like home to me.  Even though I currently don’t have little more than a mailing address and a bank account there, it still feels like it’s where I belong.

There were some minor changes since I had left.

The construction on Caroline Street is almost complete.  A shiny new street with wider sidewalks is in place and they are finishing up the bricking on the intersections.

The new bike path and sidewalk on the east bound side of Cow Key Bridge also looks to be about done.  The new path stretches out to the new CVS on the east side of Stock Island.

I saw a t-Mobile store had opened in Key Plaza giving Key West all four major cell phone providers now.  I’ll be doing some comparison shopping when I get a new iPhone next winter.

The island didn’t have a lot of tourists in town, thanks to tropical storm Colin and some media hype.  People heard the word, “hurricane”, and stayed home.  The island was busy though as kids were finishing up their last day of school.

When I arrived late on Wednesday night I had the taxi drop me off on the south end of Duval so I could walk the street.  It always recharges me when I walk around Old Town.  Fun to see the sights and hear the sounds of the bars at night.

Alas, I had to leave way too soon.  But I’ll be back.

While the day in Key West was nice, getting there and back was another story.  I took the Greyhound both ways because it was half the price of any other option.  And it was a mistake.

For one, it was way too long of a trip to be stuck on a bus. Every leg was packed full and nobody was in a good mood.  In particular, Greyhound drivers, bus stop staff, and other support crew were nasty, rude, and generally unhelpful throughout the trip.  Yelling at passengers, ordering people around like it was the military.  Greyhound seriously needs to work on customer relations.

One driver threatened to stop and throw some people off the bus for swearing in the Carolinas.  Another spent the better part of the trip bitching over the intercom about Greyhound policies and his pay.

The bus stops themselves were in very poor shape.  In Orlando, 2 of the 3 toilets in the men’s room were not working and the third looked like it had not been cleaned in a month.  When 2 or 3 busses arrive at the same time and drop off 150 people, it gets messy.

I was exhausted when I got back to Pa.  I took a really long shower and got a good night’s sleep.  First in a week.

Greyhound usually sends me a survey on how well the trip went.   They are going to get an earful this time.  No excuse to treat people so shabbily.  None.

So, anyways, I am back up north.  Unless something really remarkable happens this is where I will stay until the end of the year.  Then back home where I belong.  Next year is looking way more better for staying in the warm tropics.  It’s going to be a long 6 months but I made it this far.  The worst is over.

Capt. Fritter

  One Response to “A Day In Paradise, A Week In Hell…”

  1. At least you should be getting some summer sunshine now. I hope you can get back home before winter hits up north.